The customer needs to be able to tow a caravan and boat trailer. Firstly we had to remove the rear vision camera and cable on his old Holden Colorado that allowed him to view behind his caravan and install it on his new Jeep Grand Cherokee.
He also need the following to tow his caravan
- Electric Brake Controller
- 7-Pin Flat Plug
- Anderson Plug
- Red Anderson Plug – so he can hook up his boat winch and power it from the car battery.
Car : Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015
We used the ARC Dual Power Trailer Socket, a relatively new product on the market that combines a 7 Pin Flat & 50A Anderson Style connector with Nite-Lite and Reed Switch all into one unit, a great solution for those towing Camper Trailers and Caravans
There were 5 parts to the job:
1. We mounted the camera screen that was taken out of his Nissan Navara over the exisiting rear vision mirror in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We ran specific cable from the rear vision mirror/screen, across hood lining, down front pillar then down to the rear of the car, all the cable was hidden.
2. We mounted the main unit of the Redarc Tow Pro Elite under the dash and the controller of the Redarc Tow Pro Elite to the right of the steering wheel on the dash lower panel. We then ran 5mm twin core cable from the starter battery to the main unit then from the main unit to the 7pin plug at the rear of the car.
3. 6mm twin core cable is run from the battery to a midi fuse then through a voltage sensor to relay then to the 7pin trailer plug for the fridge feed.
4. 6B&S twin core cable is run from the battery into a 150amp manual reset circuit breaker then to a red Anderson plug to power the boat winch.
5. 8B&S twin core cable is run from the battery to a midi fuse to the grey Anderson plug to charge the batteries in the caravan while driving.
Materials used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Towing Setup
- Redarc Tow Pro Elite
- ARC Dual Power Trailer Socket (Grey Anderson Plug & 7-Pin Trailer Plug
- Red Anderson Plug
- 150amp manual reset circuit breaker
- 2 x Midi Fuse and holders
- 8B&S twin core for the grey Anderson Plug
- 6B&S twin core for the red Anderson Plug
- 5mm twin core for the Redarc Tow Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller
- 6mm twin core for the fridge feed
- Cable specific for the Rear Vision Camera
- Convoluted Tubing to protect all the cable
Watch a video why we use and recommend the Redarc Tow Pro Elite