It takes just under 1 hour to get to Imbil Camping Retreat from Maroochydore. Best to head North on the Bruce and take exit 224, follow the signs to Imbil. Just as you hit Imbil you will see the signs for Imbil Camping Retreat.
These guys keep it simple with camping sites currently they have these options available:
- Premium Waterfront Unpowered
We were there for an event (Adventure Bash) that had hired out the entire place – we were waterfront above the day use area – so assuming this would be premium, but in my opinion well worth the extra money as I got to sit in my comfy chair and watch Andrew & the kids kayak up and down the creek.
What we loved:
- Imbil Camping Retreat offers free camping but with a few perks – toilets, hot showers, close to town, coffee shop and power if you need.
- Location Location Location. Right on the banks of Yabba Creek – you can camp literally 5metres from the creek.
- We had a mulberry tree between our site and the creek. Taking me on a trip down memory lane, the kids faces and hands were always stained red, I was tempted to head home and plant one in our backyard.
- Open fires allowed – it’s not camping if there is no fire!!
- In the middle of Yabba Creek there is a mud island, not a favourite of mine personally but the kids spent hours climbing up it and sliding right back down
- Kayaks for hire
- Close to town – it was about a 5min walk into town if you needed supplies
- Bike Tracks for the kids to ride on
Room for improvement:
- It is a basic campgrounds the camp kitchen and toilet blocks were basic – but honestly all you need
Things To Do:
- Hire a kayak and paddle up and down the creek
- Climb mud island
- Jump off the cliffs – if you dare
- Imbil markets are on 8am – 2pm Sunday
- Drive into Kenilworth and explore the town
- Visit Kenilworth Bakery for the 1kg donut challenge
- Take a walk or 4WD in Imbil State Forest
We loved it. This is our new favourite campground on Yabba Creek, and believe me, we have been to a few. Great for a weekend away but within an hour of the Sunshine Coast.