What can be better than camping with the WHOLE family, the furry ones included. Camping with the family dog can be a fun and enjoyable experience for pet owners and pooches alike. Fortunately, dog-friendly campgrounds are becoming more common as park owners recognise that more people want to travel with their dogs.
To ensure the safety and enjoyment for you, your dog and other campers there are some important things to consider.
There is a little more involved in a camping trip when taking your pet. Planning ahead can prevent unnecessary stress and inconvenience.
- Call ahead and double check with the camping ground about bringing your pooch as some have restrictions on size and numbers.
- Scout out the dog-friendly and/or off-leash parks and beaches in the area.
- Find and save the phone numbers of the 24-hour vets in the area.
- Ensure your dog has a secure collar with current phone numbers.
- Pack a dog specific first aid kit, which includes their medications (if any) and latest vaccination certificate.
What To Take:
- Leash & Collar.
- 20-foot-long lead and tether, as well as stake for ground.
- Harness or dog carrier for the car.
- Poop bags.
- Food, water and dishes. Always take more food and water than you think you need.
- Bed and/or blanket and a tarp for underneath. The tarp will prevent water and cold air from getting through.
- Toys and treats.
- Brush for combing out leaves and dirt etc.
- Glow sticks or battery-operated LED lights – great for attaching to your dog’s collar at night.
We’ve compiled a list of Dog-friendly campgrounds on the Sunshine Coast and surrounding areas to help you plan your next adventure…
Sunshine Coast Dog-Friendly Camping and Caravan Parks.
Bli Bli Riverside Caravan Village, Bli Bli
Bluff Creek Campgrounds, Kenilworth
Boreen Point Campground, Boreen Point
Borumba Deer Park, Imbil
Brooloo Park, Bollier
Coolum Beach Holiday Park, Coolum Beach
Forrest Glen Holiday Park BIG4, Forest Glen
Glastonbury Creek Camping Area, Glastonbury
Golden Beach Holiday Park, Caloundra
Hidden Valley @ Gro Mad Plantations, Maroochy River
Imbil Camping Retreat, Imbil
Ingenia Holidays Landsborough, Landsborough
Kenilworth Homestead, Kenilworth
Kookaburra Park, Cambroon
Landcruiser Mountain Park, Jimna
Mudjimba Beach Holiday Park, Mudjimba
Neurum Creek Bush Retreat, Woodford
Noosa Caravan Park, Noosa
Noosa North Shore Retreat, Noosa North Shore
Ocean View Tourist Park, Landsborough
Rivershore Resort BIG4, Diddillibah
Running Creek Parklands, Stanmore
Sandy Creek Campin, Kilcoy
Cooloola Coast Camping and Caravan Parks
Inskip Peninsula Recreation Area, Rainbow Beach
Amamoor State Forest, near Gympie
Tin Can Bay Tourist Park, Tin Can Bay
We hope this information helps you and your four-legged friends have a safe and fun camping trip!
Need some further advice on caravanning or camping? Give us a call at 1300 227 353 or contact us online!